Thursday, June 16, 2011

Low Carb Taco Seasoning

Tacos are an easy "go-to" meal at our house, but the taco seasoning you get at the store has sugar and things I can't pronounce. I've started making my own following this recipe.

SEASONING FOR TACOS
1 t. chili powder
3/4 t. paprika
3/4 t. cumin
1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. salt
3/8 t. garlic powder
pinch cayenne

Combine and add to 1 pound browned and drained hamburger. Add a little water, if desired. This will be drier than taco meat made with a commercial mix due to the lack of thickeners. It tastes just as good as the store bought kind and is a lot cheaper to make. Makes enough for 1 lb. hamburger (4.5 carbs for the whole batch)(4-6 servings - 1 carb each)

A package of Taco Bell taco seasoning has 18 carbs and Old el Paso brand has 30 per package.

I mix up a bunch of this and put it in a small jar. I just measure out 4 teaspoons of the mixture per 1 pound of hamburger. See recipe below.

This recipe makes enough for about 6 batches of taco meat:

2 T. chili powder
5 t. paprika
4 1/2 t. cumin
1 T. onion powder
1 T. salt
2 1/2 t. garlic powder
1/8 t. cayenne

Mix and store in a small jar. Mix well before measuring. Makes 24 teaspoons.

I just put my meat over the top of lettuce. If you're not dairy free add some cheese. YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment