Friday, March 12, 2010

Ultra Sound Results

On Thursday I went in for my Pelvic ultra sound. I had one done vaginally about 2 years ago, but not a lot of information came from that one, besides the reconfirmation that I had polycystic ovaries. This time she was looking for the production of the endomerial lining (the build up before a peroid). She was also looking for structural problems. It's always nerve wracking when you're not sure what they will find.

Thankfully she got back to me that same day. I think in my head I was hoping that this was going to show something differen, that I either didn't have PCOS or there was a super easy fix that would make everything right again. This is probably why I was let down.

I found out that I had a very thin endometrial lining, which means my body is also not producing enough estrogen. So, she could give me both hormones, but I would essencially be back on birth control again. It may be a more natural form, but it really wasn't going to do anything besides mask the problem again. She said that health wise I could take progestrone once every 3 months and it would be enough to clear anything that had built up out.

However, there remains the question of ovulation. It is very unlikely that I will ovulate on my own so I will need a medication like Clomid to induce ovulation. I think this is what upset me the most. I was hoping NFP would take me down a different road, but it ended up bringing me back to the same thing that others with PCOS have to go through or are still going through. She upped my metformin to 1500. I've heard that the combination between metformin and clomid is better than clomid alone.

After discussing things with my husband we're going to wait until fall to start trying just to give our marriage some time to grow. Until then I will just stick to the metformin and progestrone every 3 months. I'm going to start working out a lot more, not only to deal with the stress, but I want to be in the best shape I can be when we do start trying in hopes that it will help with conceiving.

One other thing that Dr. A. mentioned was that the NaPro facility down in Omaha also does some amazing things if medication does not work for ovulation. I don't know what all they do, but she said they hae had success with people she thought had no hop for acheiving pregnancy. I guess I have options, but I'm hoping I don't have to use all those options.

1 comment:

  1. Carrie @ comfortedbyGod.blogspot.com

    I stumbled across your blog. Although I don't have reproductive problems, i do have a chronic illness--Ankylosing spondylitis. I was diagnosed four years ago and it completely knocked me off my feet. I was crippled and in/out wheelchairs. I'm in remission now, but still take all the meds. God truly carried me through that horrible time. I will truly pray for you today (REALLY!)

    ReplyDelete